Tuesday, August 13, 2013


çkemi!

That is Albanian for hello, and Albanian seems to be the theme of the week, because 1) we now know how to say all of the colors in Albanian and 2) we love our Albanians and 3) Domineko is getting baptized this month. We are so happy and they are one of my favorite things about Nancy. I love them and they bring light to our lives. 

We had a lot of really wonderful experiences this week. When we went to visit Kheira and Foued this week there was a tangible difference in their faces and in their home. She said that this week, whenever she was feeling down she would look at the little card we gave her (a scripture about peace) and it would lift her up and she would find the courage to keep on going. At the end of our lesson she said, "The other day Foued looked at me and told me 'Mom, those girls are the peacegivers of the world.'" (We aren't sure if this is true or if she just wants us to marry her son ... ) But all the same, it was the kindest thing to say. They came to church on Sunday and absolutely loved it, to the point of tears. They loved that they weren't judged because in the past when they have gone to Christian churches people have judged them. They are non-practicing Muslims, but have this strong core belief in God, and she said she has been drawn more towards Christianity in recent years. And, as she says, "Pourquoi pas?" 



Last night, after a fun chance encounter with the Albanians where we raced to the park and then had a lesson around a chess table, we went to a quartier to port. All of the batiments were locked, but we tried one that opened right up. We went to the top floor and knocked on the door and a girl about our age opened. We told her we had a message about finding hope and knowing that God has a plan for her. She let us in to talk to her, and she got a little emotional and said:

"You know, it's bizarre that you would knock on my door. Recently I have felt something missing. It is like there is a hole inside of me. Everything is fine in my life — I go to school, I have a job. But I am inexplicably sad. I've started smoking again to try to feel better, but it doesn't work. And I have been thinking that maybe what I am missing is God."

We told her that there is purpose and hope and joy in life, and shared a message with her and she said she would read it and then call us if she wants to learn more. There are people all over the place looking for something to fill the feelings of emptiness inside of them, and I think that it is so incredible that God leads us to the one building that's open to a girl who needed to not feel alone.

On a lighter note, did I ever tell you that we have an amie named Happy? Because we do (well actually, we did, but that's another story) and then we got a text from the elders that went something like this:

"Don't you have an amie named Happy?"

"Yes, why?"

"Because we have a new ami and his name is SAD."

"THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE."

"I know. We should set them up and they can get married and then they can have a child and name him COMPLACENT."

Just a fun little anecdote for you, that describes some of the greater unexpected moments of missionary work. God totally has a sense of humor. 



We also tried to make s'mores this week because we were feeling a little sentimental about the mountains and summer campfires up the canyon and so we bought French marshmallows and the closest thing to graham crackers and a candle and a warning for any future French missionaries: marshmallows are not the same in France. It was a hilarious fail, but at least we tried. 

I love you beaucoup, and will leave you with a little poem that is on my planner and has been a mantra for me lately:

Then deem it not an idle thinga pleasant word to speak;the face you wear, the thought you bringa heart may heal or break.                         -John Greenleaf Whittier

So true, and I have seen the truth of it every day. 

Je t'aime. 

xoxo

Olivia 

P.S. This week we went on a walk at 6:30 and took some pictures of the ville. I realized I haven't sent any really of Nancy. It is beautiful and esp. pretty when it is quiet and empty in the morning. 

1 comment:

  1. This is really great. HAPPY & SAD. Life. The whole part about God having a sense of humor reminded me of Regina Spektor's lyrics from "Laughing With" about how "God can be funny." BEAUTIFUL words. I can never get enough of Soeur Rhondeau's stories! :)

    ReplyDelete