Wednesday, September 5, 2012

sa kap fet?


Bonjour!
 
Remember that story Dad told at dinner the night before I left? When I was little I did something bad and then I hit him and he said, "Olivia, we do NOT hit in this family." And so then I kicked him really hard. That sums up my two-week experience at the MTC. It hit me the first week hard, then I thought I had it covered. Then week 2 comes and BAM it kicks me where it hurts. It has been rough, but also so so great. Here is an outline of what my days are like:
 
6:00 wake up and go to the workout classes with Sis. Hill
 
6:30 get ready
7:30 breakfast
8:00 personal study
9-12 class--both language and religion
12:15 lunch
1:00-2 language study
2-3 gym
4-5 study
5 dinner
6-9 class
9-930 planning
10 journal, get ready for bed
10:30 lights out
 
Beaucoup de study, right? And wow am I impressed with everybody here. People are so dedicated and working so hard, but also having a lot of fun. It has been really challenging mentally to stay focused, especially on something like this that takes so much emotional power as well. But it is so amazing the moments of serious inspiration where I learn so much about myself and others and how I can better help others. The other day in district meeting, after a particularly rough day, Elder Louis said, "What motivates you every day to stay here and be here?" The answers from these 19-21 year olds was inspiring to me. It ranged from to be an example, to help others, to learn how to be more like Christ. They are giving up their lives to be here. And why would we/they do that if this wasn't true? I just kept on thinking about what a remarkable/totally rare and even bizarre thing it is to be in a room with 19 year old boys everyday who are sacrificing what is usually a very fun and self focused part of your life, all to tell people about Jesus Christ and how to find lasting meaning and purpose and happiness.
 
But we also are ridiculous and have fun and will just laugh about things that are actually probably not that funny, but when you are studying all day and are with the same people 24/7 everything seems funny. Elder Wallace and Louis are constantly serenading us with their beat boxing and singing, and whenever we are walking together they do an incredible rendition of Chariots of Fire, and the Elders run in slow motion. Our Lord of the Rings analogies are getting a little out of hand, and it might be a little odd when I see them on campus when I am home and accidentally call them Gandalf or Legolas. Like I said, things that aren't actually funny are becoming really funny here. We have been teaching lessons to our teachers, and it is a lot of fun. We focused on the first lesson which is about the Restoration and God's love and faith etc. Woah. My testimony of the Restoartion has grown hugely. It make sense to me that God would still give us inspiration today. And I think that is precisely what the Restoration allowed--inspiration that is relevant to our needs today. Anyways, The teachers will give us tips on how to better improve, and I am realizing the best way to teach is to just study really hard, and then sincerely share what you know to be true.
 
You are probably wondering why I said it has been hard and a bit of a kick. I have been surprisingly homesick, and may be even wishing for a part of life that is easier than this, more normal thatn this. In one of those moments the other night I watched a video on lds.org called "Good Things to Come" by Elder Holland. He said, "Everyone of us has times when we need to know that things will get better. My declaration is that this is precisely what the gospel of Jesus Christ offers us, especially in times of need." And it hit me. Not only will things get better, but that is the message I am sharing with people in France and Belgium. Life has hope. There are answers to questions. And I really really believe that this gospel offers that to EVERYBODY. Just ask and search and find. I am also realizing that God gives us opportunities to change, or rather to push us to change because he is so aware of what we need in order to grow into who we can be.
 
Today we went to the temple and I got a whole new batch of incorrect pronunciation of our name. I know you will enjoy this, Mom and Dad. Are you ready?

Rondiano
Rondell
Randio
Rendoo
Rangenio

Needless to say, it will be pretty cool when I am in France and people say my name right.
 
As always, there are a million things every day that remind me of you and that I would like to share with you, but then I sit down and the thing is ticking down and I start to pannniiiicc. Just kidding. But maybe really it does stress me out.
 
Your packages and letters are so so so amazing and help me more than you could possibly imagine. I can't believe how lucky I am to have the people I have in my life. Also WELCOME HOME RICHARD! The description of the banner hung across Yale Ave made me Cry. Obvs. I hope you enjoy every second of your Harry Potter, homemade brownies homecoming. Yale Ave is a better place with you home. I saw Clark on the big screen when we watched Pres. Monson's b-day special. So fun. They played "Bring Him Home" from Les Mis which I thought was especially fitting and cruel. You should have seen the faces of these 19 year old kids. I maybe cried.
 
I love you I love you I LOOOVE YOU (said in the Buddy the Elf voice)
 
But vraiment. Tu me manque. Chaque jour. And I love you. Oh so much. And we haven't gotten mail for 4 days because of holidays etc. so if you sent a dear elder mom, sorry for not responding to specific questions. Tell me how you all are and all about your lives. SVP.
 
love,
 
Liv

I mean Soeur Rhondeau. Still getting used to that.

1 comment: