Monday, July 29, 2013


Hello! 

This week was a record breaking streak of people bailing on lessons and all of our rdv's falling through. On Saturday, as we waited at the gare and in the midst of a phone call that confirmed our seventh lesson in a row falling through, I started to feel sorry for myself. You know: it was hot, I was thirsty, why was nobody following through, it smells like alcohol, is there anyone in the world who even cares etc, etc. As we were sitting there, one of the elder's amis named Solomon saw us sitting there, and came and took a seat and started to talk. He taught us a few phrases in his native Italian, and we talked about the weather, and then Solomon began to tell us his story.  How he had to leave his comfortable home in Eritrea because of political unrest, how he drove across the Saharan desert and then took a boat to Italy, and then got kicked out of Italy, and then came to France where he slept on the ground or on a bench for months and months, and then how he finally got in to a homeless shelter when he moved to Nancy. So he is talking about all of these insane hard things and you know what he says?

 "It is a miracle and a blessing. I have a bed to sleep on, and friends who have been led to me so that I am not alone! Never once did God leave me. He has been with me the whole time. I see Him everywhere."

If that isn't enough to whip you back into shape and start counting your blessings, I don't know what is. After he left, it suddenly didn't seem too hot and the dropped appointments were not the end of the world. Never once does God leave us. Because there is nothing we could do or be or say that could change the fact that He loves us. I am so thankful for the examples of the people I meet. They are humbling and beautiful examples to me of how to live, and how to focus on the ground we have won, and not the ground we have lost. Like the woman with a puppy name Vanille who we met at the bus stop and wants to start meeting with us, or the lady we got to pray with in the middle of the street who hasn't prayed since she was young, or our Anna who continues to amaze me with her faith. The good far outweighs the hard. 

The Albanians are still as cute as ever, and every time we are with them you just can't help but be happy. Really, it is the most amazing thing. They just are happy, and in turn you can't help but be happy when you are with them. This week we had a picnic and then a lesson with them. They are going to school in September, and they don't speak French, so we have decided to start doing French classes with them once a week. Pretty sure Wednesdays and Thursdays will now be the highlight of my week. 

This week we went to Paris for Soeur Bradley's legality and coming into Paris on the train felt like coming home. I love that city. We stayed the night with Soeur Hoover and Soeur Pymm in their cute Paris apartment and it was such a blast. Soeur Pymm only has one week left on her mission! Whaaat.  I am thankful every day that she was my trainer. She is a best friend and it was so great to be able to see her one last time before she goes home. 

Sorry for the scatterbrained email. I love you beaucoup! I love Nancy too and it is a miracle and a blessing that I have a bed to sleep on, the best companion in the world, and you as my family and friends. Je vous aime, chacun de vous. 

Bonne Semaine!

Love,

Olivia 

No comments:

Post a Comment