Thursday, November 29, 2012


Cuckoo! That is how French people say hey. It makes me laugh every time, especially when it is out of a 3rd story window when we are porting. Just like a cuckoo clock.  I don't even know how I can summarize this week. It was rough and exhausting and rewarding and fun and disappointing all wrapped into one. 

A few highlights:

Wednesday. It has quickly become my favorite day because that's when we get to see Lucy. She had had friends over at her house and they had a big discussion about religion which brought up a lot of questions for her. She asked how it is possible for her to know which church is true. We then talked about how that was exactly what Joseph Smith's question was, and discussed the First Vision again, and the principle of prayer. She is une ange. Wednesday is also the day we get to see Gwenole and Raymond, so of course it was entertaining. They have their apartment all decorated for Christmas now. And the furby is wearing a scarf. 

We met with a 17 year girl from Connecticut who is here doing an exchange program.  She found the church when, one day at her school, her friend said "Hey, wanna prank chat the missionaries on Mormon.org?" Her first question was who are Mormons? and then as they prank chatted she saw all of the things on the website and became super interested. When she got home she looked it up and started taking the missionary discussions, She was at a time in her llife where she said that she knew something was missing. She grew up with no religion at all, but her parents were always supportive of her being interested in it. She went to just about every other church she could find in her area, but she said it was when she found the church, that it felt right. She wants to get baptised, but her Dad won't let her until she is 18. She said she was planning on coming to France and just 'clearing her head for awhile' and forgetting about it, but when she got here she couldn't stay away. So she called the missionaries, and I am oh so happy she did because I just think she is the greatest. I can't believe how amazing it felt to speak in English. She reminded me so much of our family, in fact I kept on trying to figure out who it was that she reminded me of and I realized it was Aunt Julia! So obviously I loved her. We are going to meet with her once a week and just talk about her Book of Mormon reading and possibly do so while eating crepes. Apparantly she is like Naomi and is a baking genius. 

We have been trying to find a recent convert who stopped coming to church, and we could never get a hold of her. We went to her apartment building and could never get a hold of her, but last week we finally did. She is a single mom and has the most beautiful family. We went over on Saturday to bake a cake with them and talked to her about how she has been doing. After that we went to get lunch in town before an appointment and we stumbled upon a Christmas Market! Magical. Only word for it. As we were walking to the metro we heard singing, and so we followed it and came upon a gospel choir. In the middle of France. Dad would have loved it. We started talking to one of the guys about the Book of Mormon, and he was sure that it didn't testify of Christ, but we talked for a while and eventually he calmed down and ended up inviting us to sing with them next Friday and then talk to him after about the Book of Mormon. We told him we aren't African and so we can't promise that we will add much to his choir, and he said "God doesn't see us differently, so I don't see you differently. Come sing with us!" I never thought I would be singing in a gospel choir in France. Love it. 

We have been porting like crazy this week. One night we went porting by the soccer stadium and there was a match going on, so as we ported there was chanting and screaming and we were laughing so hard because it was like they were cheering us on. It was like hurricane weather that night and our hair was crazy, but it was so much fun. Nobody wanted to talk to us, but it was an epic night of porting.
 
Sunday lunch at the Sala's. They are the sweetest Swedish couple in the world. 

I suppose the hardest thing about this week was feeling like we had worked so hard, and then counting up our weekly numbers and it looking like we had done absolutely nothing. I read an article in the Liahona this morning about a man who is a farmer in Argentina. Each day, month, and year he works hard on his crop, but he can't see the results every day. In fact some years he doesn't even get money at all, becaue regardless of how hard he works sometimes the weather is just bad. But he just keeps on working.  When he plows, he always looks at a tree as his point to make sure his plough stays straight, and even when it gets bumpy and rough, he knows exactly where he needs to get, he has something to guide him. That's how I feel right now. It feels really bumpy and hard, and I can't see the exact results of what I am doing. But I have something to guide me and I know that it does have a purpose and that although I can't exactly see it every day, I will. And every single day I see miracles and I see how God is there. I am so thankful for that.

Hope Las Vegas Thanksgiving was lovely. Thanksgiving here consisted of chili, enchiladas, mashed potatoes and pizza. Maybe the most unique Thanksgiving dinner I will ever have? It was a good day, but really sad because an Elder in our Zone found out the night before that his dad died in a car crash, and  went straight to Paris to fly home, so the mood was quite somber and we nixed the football game. I can't even imagine that, I felt sick all day just thinking about it. But it was really great to all be together. My first holday sans the family. I missed you. 

Today we are going back to the Christmas market, and hopefully I will find some fun things for you all. I love you and miss you incredibly. 

xox
Olivia 

No comments:

Post a Comment